One of the types of degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the intervertebral discs is osteochondrosis of the cervix, which can be treated at home. The main goal is to supplement and improve the work of classical methods of treatment (medicine, physiotherapy).
Description of pathology
Symptoms in cervical spine osteochondrosis will affect several organs and systems at the same time due to the characteristics of the blood supply and nerves:
- Impaired motor activity in the upper limbs.
- Severe pain syndrome (especially in the acute phase).
- Violation of the visual and auditory system. Tinnitus can occur. A pathological change in blood circulation (vertebral artery syndrome) leads to the appearance of "flies" before the eyes, the loss of visual fields.
- Sensory impairment (numbness of the limbs).
- Headache (due to hypoxia).
Several stages of disease development can be distinguished:
- Acute (first 2-3 weeks). Prominent clinical picture, but small changes in the osteochondral apparatus.
- Subacute (3-6 weeks). In the clinic, pain remains the main symptom, and signs of bone destruction appear in the images.
- Chronic (more than 6 weeks). The clinic manifests rare and mild syndrome (excruciating pain, restriction of movement). The photos show marked changes in the articular surfaces. Intervertebral hernias often occur (bone structures become brittle).
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis is allowed at home, along with other methods of therapy (pills, physiotherapy). As a rule, the effectiveness of alternative treatment is much lower, but multiple repetitions of such courses of treatment are permissible (after 3-4 courses, patients begin to feel relieved).
It is only possible to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home, but only if the following conditions are met:
- Compensation or undercompensation phase (without clinical or minor manifestations).
- Consultation with a doctor (rheumatologist, therapist).
- There are no allergic reactions to the treatment ingredients.
Benefits of Home Treatment:
- Availability at any time.
- Cost effective.
Disadvantages of Therapy:
- Incorrect selection of funds and, consequently, lack of effect, possible deterioration of the situation.
- Incorrect exercise.
- Possible exacerbation of comorbidities caused by incorrect self-medication tactics.
Complex exercise therapy
When performing exercises with cervical osteochondrosis, severe pain should not be allowed. Perform the course exclusively in accordance with the individual abilities of the body, from any position (standing, sitting, lying down).
The group of exercises is chosen by a specialist.
- bending / elongation of the head;
- circular movements of the head;
- bends forward / backward, right / left.
Exercise therapy, physiotherapy and massage of the cervical area are performed in the complex within a few weeks.
- with points;
One of the options for reflexology using a special plate. Based on mechanical action in innervation areas.
This device can be purchased at specialty pharmacies and used independently as a massage.
Friction from pharmacy products
There are currently a large number of pharmacy infusions and lotions, which eliminates the need for self-preparation.
These particles include the following elements:
- Essential oils (sage, mint, lemon balm, aloe, tea tree).
- Analgesics for pain relief.
- Irritants (pepper, mustard).
- Antiseptics (alcohol, menthol).
Apply each according to the attached instructions.
Remedies and folk remedies
Prescriptions for folk remedies in the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis have long been known for their effectiveness and simplicity. How and how to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home - these are the most famous and effective methods of traditional medicine used in patients with pathologies of the musculoskeletal system, in particular, osteochondrosis of the cervical spine.
Plants in the treatment of osteochondrosis at home are the most popular among the population. Medications are available at every pharmacy in the city.
Implementation does not bring any significant consequences and repeated courses of treatment with a slight interruption are possible. Age restrictions are also conditional (admission is permissible for children in the absence of contraindications).
You should know that all infusions, lotions, compresses are not recommended to be used hot. The reason is that heating the affected area can provoke the appearance of a diffuse purulent infection (phlegmon, abscess), especially if there is any micro-damage in this area. Hot substances have a negative effect on people with hypertension associated with osteochondrosis.
In this treatment option, the root of this plant is used (you can prepare it yourself or buy it in pharmacies).
Root or 2 teaspoons of dry matter pour 1 cup boiling water. Insist for 24 hours, then moisten gauze and place on the collar area. The course of treatment is 7 days.
Needles have pronounced tanning properties. There are several ways to implement it:
- In fortification baths. Pour 1 liter of boiling water over some pine legs and leave for 2 hours. Then pour the resulting solution into a bath at a temperature of 38C. The duration of the bath is 30 minutes. Course 7 days.
- In infusions. Add 2 tablespoons of dry matter with 70% alcohol solution and leave for 3 days. Massage the affected area 2 times a day. The deadline is 14 days.
- Boil the pine legs for 5 minutes. Drain the resulting liquid and rub for 20 minutes.
Has mild anti-inflammatory properties. Improves metabolic processes in tissues. Use cases:
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of dry matter and pour boiling water (300 ml). Insist for an hour and rub into the cervical area until slight redness appears. Course 7 days.
- Add 3 tablespoons of dandelion flowers and medicinal chamomile (1: 1) with 70% alcohol solution. Insist for 24 hours, then apply 2 times a day.
Infusion of pine buds
Method of preparation: pour 2-3 tablespoons of kidney with boiling water and, after it has cooled completely, use on the affected area. Course 8 days.
Compresses and applications
Treating cervical osteochondrosis with popular methods involves numerous compresses and lotions, but you need to remember a few basic rules when using:
- Frequent repetitions of the course of treatment (usually 2-3). The reason is that the effectiveness of therapy is extremely low in a course.
- The effect of the treatment is more pronounced if you wrap a scarf / towel around the damaged area. The reason is the additional effect of heat in addition to the action of drugs.
50 ml kerosene, mix with 2-3 tablespoons of sunflower oil and 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda. Rub the resulting mixture into the neck collar area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 15 days.
The mixture is irritating and should be used with caution.
Compresses, infusions and lotions and potatoes are the most common treatment. There are several reasons for this:
- availability; efficiency
- lack of strict contraindications (except for starch allergy).
Examples of usage:
- Finely chop the potatoes and drain. Form the resulting dry mixture into a cake and apply on the affected area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Boil the potatoes (3-4) in their skins. Then press and wrap with cheesecloth. Place warm potatoes on the neck collar area for 20 minutes (avoid the formation of burns). The course of therapy is 7 days.
With radishRadish is an irritant, so exposure time should be reduced in accordance with individual tolerance.
Examples of using radish:
- Grate the radish on a fine grater and strain through a sieve. Put the resulting dry mixture on the back of the cervix for 10-20 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Grind the radish and drain. Mix the resulting liquid with honey in a ratio of 1: 3. Pour the solution with alcohol and leave in a dark room for 3 days. Then moisten gauze with infusion and apply for 10-20 minutes on the affected area. The course of therapy is 7 days.
Sour cream and cheesecake
Comfrey has a strong astringent and anti-inflammatory effect. The root of the plant is rubbed on a fine grater and mixed with sour cream until a particle is obtained (usually a 1: 1 ratio). In the cervical area for 2 minutes and a course of 7 days.
Recipe with honey
Honey has an almost large list of beneficial properties:
The only contraindications are allergic reactions or individual intolerance.
Most popular honey recipes:
- pure honey. Rub honey (50–100 g) on the affected area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 15 days.
- Mix 50 g of honey and 2 tablespoons of mustard and rub the creamy mixture on the neck for 20-30 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Mix honey (20–40 mg), aloe juice (5 ml) and tea tree oil (2-4 drops). Stir well and apply for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 9 days.
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis is possible at home by rubbing the affected area with infusions and decoctions.
This method is based on two mechanisms:
- mechanical pressure;
- medicinal effects of herbs.
Mother and Stepmother
Both flowers and plant stems can be used in the preparation of the infusion. When cooking, pour 70% alcohol and leave for 4 weeks in a dark room. After that, drain the solution through the container with cheesecloth and store in a glass container out of reach of children.
Application method: rub with light massage movements on the affected area 2 times a day for 10-15 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
horseradish and herb
Grapes and blueberries can be used separately and in combination. The combined treatment is presented below.
Method of preparation: pour boiling water (1 cup) separately from each other on horseradish and berry leaves (with leaves). Insist during the day. Then drain the two solutions and mix in a 1: 1 ratio. Rub the cervical spine and the affected area once a day for 10 minutes. The course of therapy is 7 days.
Medication oil forms provide rapid pain relief in cervical osteochondrosis.
Effectiveness decreases if this form of treatment is used exclusively.
Eggs with butter
Mix the egg whites (2-3) with the butter in a 1: 2 ratio until a creamy particle is obtained. Place on the common area once a day for 30 minutes and wrap in a dark towel.
Has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect. There are several ways to use ginger:
- Add 2-3 plant roots with olive oil and leave for 24 hours. Lubricate the neck with the resulting mixture once a day at night. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Grind ginger root, add nutmeg and flaxseed oil. Cover the grill mixture with a towel and leave in a dark room for 8 hours. Rub on the joints for 20 minutes for 7 days.
Eggs and mustard
Egg whites are rich in protein and mustard has a pronounced irritating effect (increases local microcirculation) - these are the main reasons for using these ingredients in the treatment of osteochondrosis.
Method of preparation: mix the protein of 2 eggs and 1-1, 5 tbsp. spoons of mustard until creamy. Apply on the affected area for 10-15 minutes. Course 7 days.
Mustard can cause severe local tissue irritation. In case of intense pain syndrome, the procedure is not recommended.
Heating with ozokerite
Ozokerite is a naturally occurring wax. Often, this procedure is performed in sanatoriums along with paraffin heat treatment.
- pain reliever;
Method of application: the wax is heated in a special container until it returns to a liquid state. Then carefully pour into a container with the side (a baking sheet can be used) and wait to cool to a temperature of 50 C. Then the resulting mass is separated from the container and applied to the affected area for local tissue heating.
Carefully monitor the temperature of the wax and avoid burning.
Recommendations on how to treat cervical osteochondrosis are generally known, as they are applicable to all rheumatic diseases.
To effectively prevent the development of the disease, it is recommended to adhere to some simple but useful tips:
- physical activity (moderate);
- healthy food (moderate salt intake);
- right shoes (right size, 4-6 cm heel, cushion beds).
Compliance with these rules is a guarantee of spinal health!