Osteoarthritis of the hip joint, or in other words, coxarthrosis, is a serious pathology in this area of the skeletal system, which is characterized by destruction of the articular layer of cartilage, further damage to other components: adjacent muscles, bursae, bonesof the pelvis.
Osteoarthritis deformity is particularly dangerous because it not only leads to cartilage thinning, but also to bone growth, which threatens with irreversible consequences.
Actively progressing, arthrosis contributes to the development of vascular sclerosis of the articular head with the growth of a large number of cysts. The consequences of the disease will be severe deformities, dysfunctions of one or both hip joints. Joint coxarthrosis manifests itself not only in connection with age-related changes in the skeletal system, but also in children with congenital hip dislocation, dysplasia.
Osteoarthritis of the hip joint: symptoms
Signs of pelvic bone damage appear differently in each patient, but among the most common are these:
- The main place among them is occupied by pain syndrome, from which the patient suffers not only after physical exertion, but also at rest. Painful sensations are localized in the thighs, groin, giving the knee. The pains are not always static, as the disease progresses, they change the place of localization, intensity, duration;
- Restriction of motor activity of the musculoskeletal system leads to stiffness of human movements, lameness, sometimes shortening of the limb due to gluteal muscle spasm;
- The acute phase is characterized by the inability to bring the affected leg to the body or to take it in a supine position. While performing the movements, joint pressures are heard.
There are three stages in the development of coxarthrosis. If in the first stage of the pathology the painful sensations pass after a short rest, then they become more and more intense. The hip joints are threatened by immobility, and the muscles of the thighs, buttocks, and lower legs are difficult to cope with their functions due to atrophic changes in them.
The main causes of the lesion
- The risk of developing osteoarthritis is often found in those groups of people who already have metabolic disorders, genetic traits in skeletal system structure, and cartilage tissue weakness.
- But more often the appearance of this pathology is preceded by some diseases associated with malnutrition, blood supply to the femoral head, for example, Peters disease. Manifested mainly in boys during childhood.
- Congenital displacement of the hip also leads to the development of articular pelvic pathologies.
- Injuries in the form of fractures, dislocations provoke the development of diseases of the hip joints.
- Inflammatory processes in bones, such as arthritis of various etiologies, contribute to damage to joint tissue.
- And leading a sedentary lifestyle, hormonal disorders in the body, involvement in heavy sports only provokes the development of arthritic changes in the hip joints.
Treatment of osteoarthritis with therapeutic methods
In the case of advanced pathology, an operation is possible. But in the early stages of development, deforming osteoarthritis is cured by conservative methods in a hospital or at home.
Joint treatment with medication
Some of the main types of medicines used to treat the disease:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are often produced in the form of tablets, capsules and gels. They are effective anti-inflammatory, analgesic agents that relieve swelling, reduce pain and stop the pathological process in tissues. Tablets, capsules, medicines are taken with meals, first forty milligrams, then two days later reduced to twenty. The gel is applied three times a day, rubbing with massage movements. Carefully, the medication is prescribed to elderly patients with heart failure, pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract. While using it, you should not drink alcohol, drive a car;
- The agent, which is a chondroprotective agent, restores metabolic processes, cartilage tissue functions of the hip joint and reduces pain. They take the drug one and a half grams a day for six weeks. Thanks to such medications, after three months it will be possible to feel improvements in the condition of the hip joint;
- To relax smooth muscles, helps eliminate small vessel spasms, a drug that improves blood properties, increases resistance to hypoxia. Take two tablets once daily with meals;
- Muscle relaxants are intended to normalize blood circulation, relieve muscle pain. One tablet three times a day is prescribed. The drug is contraindicated for people with serious liver pathology;
- Corticosteroids are used only for extremely severe forms of the disease, when other medications do not provide relief. Some of these drugs have strong anti-inflammatory effects. Most often, a solution of the drug is injected intramuscularly, starting at one hundred milliliters, every six hours. Successfully used for administration using ultrasound equipment (phonophoresis, electrophoresis).
Heating oil treatment for such an articular pathology is rarely used, as it is quite difficult for external agents to penetrate the lesion through layers of fat, skin and muscle.
We treat coxarthrosis at home
Time-tested traditional medicine prescriptions should also be used in the treatment of coxarthrosis.
- Passing the pulp of three lemons, 250 grams of celery root, 120 grams of garlic through a meat grinder, a mixture is obtained, which, after being placed in a three-liter jar, is poured with boiling water. The infusion is taken half an hour before breakfast, half a glass daily.
- A glass of calamus and astragalus are boiled in five liters of water for five minutes. Once you have introduced the medicine, add the solution to a warm bath. After receiving medical procedures, it is best to do gymnastics to develop mobility of the pelvic joints.
- Aspic, cooked from one kilogram of unsalted beef hooves, is very useful for joint diseases. It should be eaten two hundred grams half an hour before meals.
- A bath with the addition of Jerusalem artichoke, pine branches, sea salt, honey will alleviate the patient's condition. And the network of iodine and pork fat will consolidate its effect. Also, after you take a bath, a compress of horseradish grape mixed with honey, applied to the pain area, will help.
Of course, treatment with folk remedies will only weaken some of the symptoms of the disease, will not completely eliminate them, but in combination with other methods will be effective.
Medical procedures can help with pelvic osteoarthritis
Procedures prescribed by specialists for the successful treatment of coxarthrosis have a beneficial local effect on the tissues of the affected area of the skeletal system of the human body:
- By acting at low temperatures on painful areas of the pelvic bones, cryotherapy stimulates blood flow to them, metabolic processes in the tissues. Partial immersion of the body in an environment of liquid nitrogen, where the temperature varies from minus one hundred and ten to minus one hundred and sixty, will help relieve the unpleasant symptoms of arthritic pain, restore motor functions;
- Infrared light radiation is used for painful sensations in muscle tissue, nerve endings. Before the phototherapy procedure, it is necessary to lubricate the affected area with gel, then for thirty minutes they act with the help of a special apparatus at the site of pain. To avoid allergic reactions, mandatory testing is performed before the session and then the appropriate radiation dose is selected;
- Pulling, or pulling, the hip joint is a way of stretching the joints in order to prevent wear and widen the gap between them. The procedure is performed either by a specialist himself or using a traction unit. In the supine position, during the adjustment of the chest, the back of the patient's shoulder, a load is suspended from the lower back on a special strap. The weight of the load depends on the weight, height, age, severity of the person's illness. After such an operation, it is recommended to give the patient a long rest.
Physical therapy, massage should be prescribed for deformity of arthrosis of the hip joint, as this will help improve blood circulation, relieve muscle tension and soreness.
Prevention of recurrence of joint pathology
Successful treatment of any disease of the skeletal system must be consolidated so that the disease does not return.
- To develop the hip joint, daily gymnastics, massage of the thighs and buttocks will help. Swimming exercises have a positive effect on the condition of the pelvis, hips.
- Prevention of joint pathologies is not complete without a balanced diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, seafood, chicken, turkey.
- Traditional medicine recipes will also strengthen muscles and bones, so the use of compresses, trays based on medicinal plants is mandatory.
And most importantly, do not overload your joints, your muscles with work, long walks, brisk running. And when the first symptoms of pain appear, you should immediately consult a doctor.
The materials posted on this site are for informational purposes only and are for educational purposes only. Determining the diagnosis and choosing the method of treatment remains the exclusive right of your doctor.